Microalgae, the category most often used for nutraceuticals, are tiny photosynthetic organisms similar to plants. They contain chlorophyll and feed themselves through photosynthesis, taking energy from the sun and converting it to sugars and proteins. Their home in nature’s waterways, often under intense conditions, have caused algae to evolve some very powerful health benefits.
The global supplement industry was valued at $132.8 billion and is expected to grow at around 8% per year, an interesting prospect for new players like microalgae experiencing periods of growth and product recognition. One report has spirulina’s market size growing to $170 million by 2025 with a CAGR of 4.5%.
From protein-packed spirulina, to nutrient-rich chlorella, to astaxanthin’s impressive antioxidant properties – microalgae are becoming well-known as the super-nutrient of the future.
The same substance that gives salmon and krill oil its pink colour also happens to be one of nature’s most powerful antioxidants, anti-inflammatory agents, and ally in overall health. Astaxanthin is a unique red carotenoid produced in the microalgae Haematococcus pluvialis. When nature puts algae in stressful conditions, it shields itself with the nutrient-rich algae oil astaxanthin, a versatile compound that is proving to have a unique range of health benefits:
- One of nature’s most powerful antioxidant, astaxanthin is 6,000 times stronger than vitamin C.
- Strong anti-inflammatory properties, red algae astaxanthin reduces various inflammatory responses known to cause pain and inflammation.
- Can help prevent and delay cellular oxidative damage.
- A powerful recovery-aid for athletes, helping reduce muscle damage and lower inflammation caused by intense physical exercise.
- A natural sunscreen and skin protector, 11 times more powerful than beta-carotene and 550 times more powerful than vitamin E at battling skin-damaging oxidation.
The word is spreading and the benefits of red algae astaxanthin are leading to increased awareness and market growth. The global astaxanthin market is expected to reach $2.57 billion by 2025 with a CAGR of 18.9%.
Check out Pond Naturals’ AstaNorth here!
With unique access to naturally-sourced algae, and a vertically-owned Made in Canada production facility, Pond Naturals is positioned to become a global astaxanthin leader.
- Clean – Our fully enclosed, biosecure system ensures our Astaxanthin is consistently made to the highest quality standard.
- Green – We develop and use the latest technology to minimize environmental impacts. Our facility uses 100% renewable electricity and is working towards zero waste.
- Made in Canada – Our astaxanthin is derived from a strong, local strain of H. pluvialis which has evolved to withstand tough northern climates.
- Wet Extraction – Our gentle, all-natural extraction method preserves the oil as the algae are never dehydrated and never exposed to harsh chemicals or excessive heat. This avoids denaturing common in other brands and results in a pleasant, non-fishy odour and aftertaste.
- Full Spectrum – By extracting astaxanthin from whole algae, we harvest a “full-spectrum” algae oil and not just an isolate that cuts out other nutrients present in the algae cell.
- Natural preservative for CBD oil – It inhibits lipid peroxidation, thus extending shelf life and adding its own health benefits to the blend
Pond Naturals offers turn-key bulk Astaxanthin solutions that meet your brand’s need:
- Bulk oleoresin at 5% and 10% concentration
- Bulk soft-gel pills, in 4mg and 12mg
Spec sheets and product dossiers are available upon request
Let us help you explore how Astaxanthin can benefit your product line or formulation
Blue Spirulina (Phycocyanin)
Phycocyanin is a blue pigment derived from blue-green algae. Along with carotenoids, it’s one of the most potent algal pigments, playing an important role in photosynthesis and assisting with chlorophyll functions. In terms of health benefits, phycocyanin has:
- shown strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties
- has been linked to preventing neurological diseases
As a commodity, phycocyanin has been gaining notoriety as a product with interesting market potential. Due to its natural fluorescence, it’s used in medicine and genetics as a tracer, and as a key element of UV-protected clothing.
It’s most promising usage is a natural dye for the food industry. More conscious consumers and regulatory changes are turning up the pressure for brands to move beyond synthetic dyes. Pure blue is notoriously difficult to find in nature, making it difficult to farm or harvest for commercial purposes. As the only FDA-approved natural blue colourant, Phycocyanin is rapidly becoming a hot commodity in categories ranging from smoothies and yogurts to confectionary and cocktails.
Pond Naturals, is working with its trusted partners to establish a reliable supply of highest quality Phycocyanin while scaling up its own production of Clean, Green, Made-in-Canada Phycocyanin. Using proprietary, industry-changing technology, Pond Naturals can produce scalable volumes of phycocyanin in excess of 10 metric tonnes per year. We are currently taking pre-orders, a necessary step given the strong initial demand for our Pond Blue.
Let us help you explore how Blue Spirulina (Phycocyanin) can benefit your product line or formulation
Chlorella is a green, freshwater algae (Chlorella vulgaris) that has gained a reputation as a powerful superfood. Full of amino acids, peptides, proteins, vitamins, and minerals, Chlorella is a supplement with wide-ranging potential health benefits.
- Chlorella is a great source of protein (50–60% depending on the growing conditions and strain) and contains all nine essential amino acids.
- Very high levels of chlorophyll, which can help protect the body against infections.
- Contains carotenoid antioxidants with positive anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects.
- Positive results in treating hypertension.
Consumer and industry awareness is increasing as more and more compelling research is published around the benefits of this algae-based supplement. Market size has been growing steadily with continued growth expected in both short and medium term.
Pond Naturals supplies top-quality chlorella, with organic, non-GMO, and other certifications. With years of experience formulating greens blends, Pond Naturals can provide you with turn-key product solutions or supply premium bulk material.
Let us help you explore how Chlorella Powder can benefit your product line or formulation
Spirulina, often referred to as blue-green algae, is a single cell plant-like organism that grows in both fresh and saltwater. Spirulina was consumed by the ancient Aztecs and today has become well-known as a high-nutrient, low-calorie food that contains a lot of nutrition in a small amount of powder.
Full of protein, iron, magnesium, and vitamins B2 and B3, spirulina has been shown to have a wide-array of health benefits:
- A 2018 review study found that spirulina significantly lowered people’s fasting blood glucose levels.
- This 2016 systematic review and meta-analysis shows that taking spirulina supplements may positively impact blood lipids, and significantly reduces total cholesterol.
- Doses of 4.5 grams per day has been shown to reduce blood pressure.
- A 2013 study showed that blue-green algae may play a role in preventing heart disease, potentially due to their cholesterol-lowering, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidative effects.
According to recent reports, the global spirulina market size hit $346 million in 2018, and is projected to reach $779 million by 2026, growing at 10.6% annually. These figures match the trend in popularity of powdered supplements in general and spirulina in particular.
Pond Naturals currently stocks top-quality spirulina, and is expanding capacity of our own Made-in-Canada Spirulina. With years of experience formulating greens blends, Pond Naturals is well positioned to work with you on new or existing products.